It's been a hot and arduous week for us and I am happy to report that we persevered and hung in there! We had several recesses inside this week due to the heat and air quality. Our class did a fairly good job following inside recess expectations of choosing a quiet activity and cleaning up and mobilizing when needed to transition. I am proud of their flexible thinking!
Please take a look at your child's blue Friday folder! Lots of important info in there! Those of you who were absent Friday or left their blue folder behind, expect to see them head home on Tuesday.(:
- Grandparents Day is coming soon on Wednesday 9/13! Please click here to see the flyer; Click here to sign up.
- Don't forget to bring in via your child's blue folder an unframed 4x6 family photograph we can display for the year by our Hopes and Dreams Board to remind us of our family love and support!
- Also, our first Field Trip (to the Crocker Art Museum) is coming on Wednesday 10/4. Permission slips went home in blue folders. This is a sack lunch field trip; if you would like me to order a cafeteria made sack lunch, please email me ASAP. Parent chaperones must be fingerprinted through Westlake; email if you are interested.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief: We are setting up a clothing and school supply drive to help support the victims of Hurricane Harvey. Collection Bins will be set up in the front office. We will collect items 9/5-9/8. Thanks to Katie Sanchez and Sally Hoyt for making this project happen.
- After-School Live, our Westlake Charter After School Club Program, is expanding joyful learning opportunities for our Explorers, and we need volunteers to lead an after-school club. Volunteers will earn all their hours for the year in one session! If you'd like to lead a club, please fill out this form, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Reading and Language Arts--we continue to practice our Daily 5 routines and incorporated some Daily Language work that focuses on grammar and editing. We are doing a great job in Writers Workshop of following the rules (1. Golden Silence; 2. Everybody Writes; and 3. When You Think You're Done, You've Just Begun) and producing, sharing, and providing peer feedback of our writing during Writers Share.
Math--we took timed addition and subtraction fact tests, worked in partnerships on math practice pages, and identified vocabulary and strategies related to addition and subtraction.
Technology--we learned about Digital Citizenship and respecting our role in the technological world. We learned how to treat our Chrome books respectfully. We registered our emails, profile photos, and passwords in our Chrome books and explored some 2nd grade learning sites.
Core Value of the Month: Respect--We read about, discussed, and wrote about this very important core value. Please continue to enlighten students about what respect looks like and sounds like in various life scenarios.
Buddy Time--We met our 5th Grade Big Buddies from Ms. Brunnmeier's class! We read and talked to each other about respect. We also interviewed our Big Buddies and drew their portraits. Early finishers played charades. We are looking forward to learning collaboratively with them throughout the year.
Here is my present list of interested volunteers I compiled from emails prior to today. If you'd like to volunteer or if I inadvertently missed you, please sign up. Thanks so much!
I am still in search of a room parent or co-room parents. Please email me if you are interested or have any questions regarding this very important job. Thanks for considering!
Dates to Remember:
Mon. 9/4--Labor Day: No School
Wed. 9/6 thru Fri. 9/9-- NWEA Testing @ 10:30 am - 11:45 am (Math, Reading, and Language, respectively)
Wed. 9/6--Westlake Charter School Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at 4:00 pm by the flagpole
Fri. 9/8--Our first Spirit Day of the year--Super Hero Spirit Day
Wed. 9/13--Grandparents Day from 8:30 am - 10:00 am
Wed. 9/20--Chili Cook Off
Wed. 10/4--Crocker Art Museum Field Trip--bring sack lunches and wear spirit shirts
That's all for now! Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!