It's hard to believe this will be my final newsletter to you! Just want to let you know it has been an honor being your child's teacher. It's remarkable how quickly this year has passed and how much they've grown! I value and cherish each and every one of them and thank you for your support this academic year!
I'd like to dedicate this newsletter to my dear friend and retiring colleague, Michele Arzaga. Almost a decade and a half ago, Michele answered the calling of becoming Westlake's Art teacher! Her impact on Westlake's children (some of who are now adults!) is immense. We will miss her and am comforted to know that the fabulous Jenna Morgan will be stepping into her Westlake shoes. (Although, I will miss Mrs. Morgan as a grade-level teammate...sigh...too many good-byes this month!)
*Thematic Unit--Biodiversity- we are wrapping up our Biodiversity unit with expert groups reading, sketching, and mind-mapping the desert, wetlands, tundra, and deciduous forest ecosystems. We enjoyed viewing the first grade's musical, "Rumpus in the Rainforest" which conveniently connected with our rainforest ecosystem review!
*ELA--in Writing, we wrote thank you letters to Ms. Dora and Ms. Arzaga. We are grateful for Ms. Dora's Wednesday help in the classroom and we wish Ms. Arzaga all the best as she retires from teaching Art at Westlake!
2nd Grade Notes about Field Day:
2nd graders will travel in their specialty cohorts (red, orange, yellow, and green) during Field Day events, led by that cohort's teacher. I will be leading the orange cohort.
2nd grade students may wear their new jade green second grade spirit shirts on this day. Also, this is a sack lunch early, early out day (noon dismissal). If you plan on eating lunch on campus after Field Day events, please bring your lunch--unless you submitted the lunch form requesting the cafeteria to provide a sack lunch or you plan to eat out for lunch.
June BASE Newsletter: Click HERE for the June BASE Newsletter.
Trimester 3 Parent Survey - DUE 6/3: The Parent Survey is taken at the end of each trimester. Click HERE to answer six questions to rate your family's experience at Westlake Charter School during the 2018-19 school year. The survey will close at 4:00 PM on Monday, June 3rd.
Field Day/Report Cards: Field Day takes place on our last day of school on Wednesday, June 5th. All grades will be dismissed at 12:00 pm.
- Click HERE to volunteer for Field Day and to donate supplies.
- K-7 students participating in field day can wear spirit shirts or uniform shirts and free dress bottoms. Students can wear bathing suits under their clothes. No flip flops, close toed shoes should be worn as students are running around in the field.
- Report cards will be distributed at 12:00 pm, so please plan to for your student to attend the entire field day.
- If you have an appointment and need to pick your student up early, please plan for extra time as the students will be in rotating stations for field day.
- Also, please note that there will be no afternoon walking school bus on Wednesday, June 5th. We are in need of pop up tents for field day.
That's all for now! It's been a pleasure! 3rd Grade, here we come!
Have a wonderful summer!