I hope you had a restorative October Break and enjoyed some time with your 2nd grade explorer! I enjoyed being on top of my laundry and housework for a little bit (it's such a fleeting victory!) and catching up on my reading (such a pleasure!) It's so good to see your children! I think it was a good breather, because now it is GO TIME!
Progress Reports: I am still awaiting a few signed progress report copies. Please return ASAP; thank you to those who have reviewed and returned them. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Family Project: We so enjoyed listening to your student's Family Project Presentation and viewing their artifacts and family trees. Thank you for your support on this project! Scored Presentation Rubrics are in blue folders. There are 4 students who have yet to present--we are looking forward to hearing from them soon! Let me know if you need my help in any way!
Class Party: We achieved our goal of 200 class points which means we have earned our first class party! It will be on Friday, October 26th and the class would like a "Bey Blade, Stuffed Animal, and Drawing Party." Students may each bring 1 stuffed animal or squishy that is small enough to house in their backpack. If they would like to participate in the Bey Blade rotation, they may bring 1 Bey Blade and stadium (if available). If you would like to donate refreshments or treats, please email me. [Please note we do have students who have allergies to peanuts and egg whites.] Thank you! We are beyond excited!
Field Trip this Wednesday, 10.17.18!:
Our Cal Expo Field trip will enhance our "Farm to Fork" unit! We will be touring a farm and a forest. Our 5 bus-riding, WCS fingerprinted chaperones for this trip will be: Chase's mom, Prisha's dad, Helena's grandma, Mason T.'s dad, and Joseph's mom. Please accompany your child to school on this day and remember your sack lunch, too! If you are unable to chaperone, please email me ASAP. Other parents wishing to meet us at Cal Expo may join their student's group there.
For Wednesday's field trip, students are to:
* Wear WCS Spirit Shirts
* Bring a sack lunch
* Have a joyful learning mindset while remembering our community agreements!
We had a great week back from October Break! We wrote a small moment narrative on something we did during Break on Google Docs! We shared our Family Projects with our classmates--what a great job everyone did! We also started our Farm to Fork unit with some vocabulary predictions: Farm to Fork, Producer, and Consumer. We wrapped up our Addition Unit in Math and will start our unit on Place Value this week! In Reading, we learned about the activities to practice to be a reflective reader. In the spirit of October being Anti-Bullying Month, we talked about being an Upstander and using kind words and actions to heal a heart wrinkled by hurtful words and actions. We enjoyed an entertaining Friday assembly featuring NED (Never give up; Encourage others; Do your best!). We ushered in the Core Value of Excellence.
A Word from our Room Parent, Mason T.'s Dad:
Greetings Mrs. Acquisto's 2nd grade parents:
My name is Richard Tran. I'm a Room Parent for Mrs. Acquisto's 2nd grade. We have two major announcements for this week:
FIRST, the Fall Festival - Saturday October 20th 2pm-6pm
The first large WAVE event of the 18/19 school year is the Fall Festival on Saturday, October 20th from 2pm-6pm. This fantastic event is open to the entire community and last year attendance was around 1,500 people! Let's make this year bigger than last! Please bring your family and friends. Also, there are several different ways to get involved!
- Silent Auction Baskets: One of the most popular things at the Fall Festival is the Silent Auction Baskets. Each class can create a basket to auction off and all the proceeds of the auction go directly to each classroom. Some examples of themes in the past have been gift card baskets, farm to fork, parents night out, etc. For more details click this link: https://goo.gl/UDfvUm
- Volunteering: It takes hundreds of parent volunteers to make this event a success! Please encourage families to get their hours in by volunteering at the Festival. Booths are not assigned to grades this year so anyone can sign up for any time slot that is available. Opportunities range from decorations/set up, working booths, and tear down. Sign ups: https://goo.gl/z8euaK
- Donations: From supplies, to lending pop up canopies and coolers, this is another great way to earn hours, especially for those who can't volunteer the day of! Parents can earn hours for the time they spend shopping for the items and bringing it to the school. https://goo.gl/vgpLD6
- Treat Walk Donations: https://goo.gl/sMuxT8
- Ticket Sales:
- Presale: On Wednesday 10/17 and Friday 10/19 we will be selling your height in tickets for $20.
- At event: Tickets are $1 each or $20/25 tickets. For reference, most games will be 1 ticket while a few will be up to 3 tickets. Food court will be from 1-5 tickets.
- For any questions regarding Fall Festival please contact Aileen at firstname.lastname@example.org
SECOND, the volunteer site is up and running!
- The volunteer site has finally launched! Many hours were put into creating an easy to use volunteer site where all our parents/families can log in their hours as well as see upcoming events, volunteer for a committee and see the current grade level standings. https://westlakecharter.com/volunteer
Thank you very much.
Parent Teacher Conference: Parent Teacher conferences will be held November 5th-9th. Click HERE to sign up for your student’s conference starting October 15th. Click HERE for instructions on how to sign up. We look forward to having 100% of our families attending a 1st trimester conference. Remember, November 5th-9th will be early dismissal for all grades to allow for time to meet with each of our families.
Standards Based Grading Parent Night: Our school is moving towards Standards Based Grading. Come join us for a parent night on Thursday, November 1st, from 6:00-7:00pm in the cafeteria. At this event we will discuss: The “What?” and “Why?” of Standards Based Grading.
Have a great week,